Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Catching up

I had to leave the kennel for more medical treatment down south. When I was away it snowed around 8-12 inches of snow. Yikes. This makes it hard for everyone here.
The tractor would not even turn over for Leanne. Ben went out to put trail in with the Yamaha snow machine. It quit. Ben walked home. The other Yamaha which is a bravo single cylinder engine. Pretty simple always runs. It would not start.
When I got home the dogs had sat for about a week. Not good. Plus we had no way to put in trail. I needed to get a new snow machine and fast. I do not like the fast part of the equation. Fast when purchasing something always leads to trouble. I found the snowmachine that would work for us. I picked it up and brought it home to rescue the Yamaha sitting on the trail. We now have a 2003 arctic cat panther two seater. It has a 570cc twin engine that produces 70 h.p. It works nice except someone removed the electric start. Which is now on the way. I bought a new one to put in. I made it out to the Yamaha on the trail. Ben said it would not run and it made some awful noises and quit. I told him he has to close all the doors that are on the front of the snowmobile or all the snow from the fresh powder will come in and freeze up the skidoo. He said ya ya he did it. guess what the doors were open and it was froze up with snow under the hood. Rachel and I got it running and got the track moving again. No problem it ran perfect. We pulled the drag around the trail with out breaking ahead with another snow machine. That is because of the power and traction of the new Actic Cat.
The trail was put in and we had to put on our training runs. Problem with this is that the trail was just put in and the surface will be soft and hard on dogs feet and muscle. Great time to hurt someone. I worked the trail as hard as I could and the teams ran on Sat. No injuries. Sunday was different. Leanne ran Ben's dogs and one got injured. SO far that is all you can see is one dog injured. Lucky. He is in the dog box being brought back to health.
After all this I found out that our snowmachine works fine. So I will sell the Arctic Cat again. This time I will sell it for more with an electric start as it should have come in the first place.

This is just a typical time here. Things go bad and when they do the trail is still priority. The trail has to be in and dogs have to keep moving all the time no matter what happens around them. It is costly time wise and in monetary ways. It is the only way to insure a fit team at the end of the day. So we pay. Hopefully we catch up and things go better for the rest of the season. We have plenty of snow now. It will take quite a while to pack the trail down since the snow fall. Then we can speed the dogs up again and get ready for the Junior world championships in Anchorage in Feb.

Thanks to Grandma and Grandpa Kinvig for their generous sponsorship again this year. It will go to travel cost to get to the Worlds or to the Arctic Winter Games. Thanks from Ben and Rachel.

No comments: