Monday, December 28, 2009

North to Alaska

What a trip so far. We left Christmas Day at around three P.M. We packed up and hit the road to Anchorage Alaska. We made it past the Tok cutoff. Leanne started to drive and missed a turn off. When I got up from my rest and started to drive I noticed we were somewhere I was not familiar with. We had a race for the kids on the 26 in chugiak alaska. This is just outside of Anchorage. When I started to drive the truck again I was heading down a steep pass. I did not recognize any of this area. Then I came to the bottom of the pass and I was in Valdez of all places. Leanne accidently missed the turn to Anchorage. It was six a.m. the morning or the race. I had but a few hours to get the kids to the race. The truck proved to be awesome and I managed to get to the race with a few minutes left. Leanne and I ended up for 36 hours by the time the racing on the day was done.
The point of the race was to get as many of our young dogs out as possible. which Ben and Rachel managed to do. Young leaders ran in lead through tunnels etc. The 27 found us back in chugiak to race the adult class where LEanne ran the four dog and the six dog class. Leanne ran more young dogs. Mission accomplished. It is unfortunate that we do not have any fast runs on the dogs yet this year. It is important not to run to fast even in these preliminary races. The dogs are so young yet and you do not want them to experience somthing that is not fun. So we took it easy on them and it was very warm during these races.
The dogs are off schedule as well after such a long drive. SO they are not running well nor eating and drinking well. They will come around soon.
This week will find us taking the kids to the ski hill where we will over night and ski.
We are staying with some very good friends in Anchorage and are enjoying their company. It is a great place to be such nice people. Anchorage such a nice area for dog mushing as well.
The dogs will get some training runs down at the track in Anchorage then off to the ski hill for three days. Races start again on the first of January.
Talk soon

No comments: